Fabulous, unique guesthouse w/ lots of social life, more photos at http://www.flickr.com/photos/bangkoksong/

2008/08/19

Thai Mentality – Introduction

Guys,

Let me introduce a new feature in my blog so you have better info whether it's your first visit to Thailand or one of many. Traveling w/ real understanding is way more fun, isn’t it? I mean no matter how long or short your stay might be, knowing what you’re seeing is way better than otherwise, right?

I name this new feature “Thai Mentality” because it cannot be anything else. No yawning here, I promise!

I humbly hope that after reading the blogs under this topic, you folks will be able to say (or wax poetic, if you prefer) why, for example, why there are so many “openly-cheerful” creatures in this country, why escalator users never bother to form a single file on one side so “super- hurry” people can race and charge through the other, why the fabulously well-to-do and those living in abject poverty seem to co-exist pretty beautifully, and why a shrink's business will probably never ever prosper here, just to name a few.

Also, this can be a golden opportunity to bring to light countless beliefs that foreigners seem to hold, such as Thais automatically assuming that being white means being rich. Heard of "bird sh*t farang"?

But, I’m no expert here, and neither do I want to be.

Me being just an aging boy who has seen a lot and loves to share. That’s all.

And, if you think I miss anything in my “analysis,” feel free to spank me.....hard!

Joe

No comments: