Fabulous, unique guesthouse w/ lots of social life, more photos at http://www.flickr.com/photos/bangkoksong/

2008/08/10

Coming for a Medical Reason?

I've heard of medical tourism for long while but didn't really pay attention until guest after guest of ours was here for a medical treatment. This "third world" country of mine surprises me sometimes.

There is no shortage of hospitals in Bangkok that conspicuously exist to serve foreigners. Certainly, all of them are private. Heard of Bumrungrad, BNH etc? I've been to one of those and so I can say 'nifty lobby."

A little bird told me that private hospitals are not allowed in some countries like Canada because hospitals should be there for everybody. So, in Canada the rich and the not so rich are guaranteed a place to mingle. Here in Thailand, we operate according to our fortune (or the lack thereof.)

Ask me what I think is the big picture. As of now, I can only say I don't know. Seems like you have to wait until I'm alot older and therefore sufficiently wiser, if that will ever happen. All I can say right now is more power to the wealthy. If you can afford it, so be it.

Wishing excellent health to all of you and, myself,
Joe

No comments: