Fabulous, unique guesthouse w/ lots of social life, more photos at http://www.flickr.com/photos/bangkoksong/

2008/09/08

Staying & Studying Thai? Part III: No Match Found

Today at the residential building that I work for, we’ve interviewed 3 girls for the position of guest relation officer. Cherry, the current one, is leaving us for Grand Hyatt Hua Hin. What she states in the resignation letter though is “to pursue a master degree’s in hotel and tourism in China.” Yeah right.

I made sure that my boss isn’t missing anything. She’s entitled to the truth, right?

Anyway, one of questions that the boss asked every girl was 'if I call your mom right now, what would be the three things she says about you'? We were happy to hear that every one of them was honest enough to include their weaknesses in the list.

The 2nd girl said in Thai that her mom would say that she is “Kee Ngorn.” She couldn’t find an English word for this one.

My New Yorker boss who has lived in Thailand for 12 years turned to me immediately for a translation.

I, too, struggled.

Anyway, I tried my best, and here’s what I said,

“It’s sort of related to being upset. It’s, I think like having a tendency to act like this - "You disappointed me. I’m not happy w/ what you did. There’s no use to apologize right now ‘cause I just don’t wanna hear it. Leave me alone for a while. But soon enough, you will have to resubmit that apology. Then, everything will be back to normal.” It’s typical of girls. A lot of boys even find that attractive.”

Dear friends from many parts of the world, do your people share the above characteristic w/ Thai girls?

My boss nodded to tell me that she got it but never gave me an English word for it.

Do you have an English word for me? How about people from other languages? Any one single word to match “Kee Ngorn?”

Joe, a student.

No comments: