Fabulous, unique guesthouse w/ lots of social life, more photos at http://www.flickr.com/photos/bangkoksong/

2008/09/17

Ain’t No Big Deal



When you see a beautiful girl in Thailand, don’t believe your eyes just yet.

Why?

I’ll tell you why.

Thailand has been and will always be a Buddhist country. Imported from Sri Lanka centuries ago, Buddhism has proven to be long lasting.

We learn Buddhism from Day 1. Little school kids are “encouraged” to learn The 5 Precepts by heart. Bigger kids have to be familiar w/ biography of every important historical figure - the Prince Siddhartha and his contemporaries. But, everyone gets to mediate for a few minutes before the class starts.

I was one of those kids and I don’t recall meditating. All we wanted was for the teacher to say “Now, you can open your eyes.” Next followed the preaching and we knew that the class’s end was looming. Then what?

Volleyball time.

I must admit that I’ve 'returned' all the lectures and details to my teachers and I’m certain most people my age have done the very same thing. Who cares? No more excruciating examinations.

But a few things do remain.

Looking back, I realize there’s one thing missing from those religious sessions. One thing that’s never discussed. One thing that’s all up to you to form your own take on.

Same-gender attraction!

There’s no condemnation on a guy who happens to be attracted to a mustache, or muscled pair of arms, or a hairy chest, or the masculine loin of another guy. Likewise, no text book has any take on dykes.

So now, what is the Thai public left w/?

Our own subconscious interpretation.

Luckily, as I see it, we see that everyone is the way they are because of what they did in the past lives. Everyone has their own karma to enjoy AND deal w/, male or female or otherwise. And of course, Nirvana is accessible to anyone who perseveres. So, what’s the implication of all this?

Yes, he is straight. He’s what people call a real man. But, at the end of the day, does it really matter when he’s late at work all the time while his gay colleague is more efficient?

I myself heard a taxi driver say that he wished his son was gay bacause he didn't like how a bad boy would think it's cool not to pay attentin to classes.

Pls don't get me wrong. I'm not suggesting that gay men achieve more. We see gay people who just waste the air and space in our society as well.

I’d also say it’s not ideal for most parents to have a homosexual child because of that 'continuing the family name' thing. But what people here would say or do when that happens is “Well, so what else can we do? He probably won't get married. He doesn’t seem to like girls. Let’s just raise him to be a decent person then.”

And it turns out that….that unspoken permission has encouraged a lot of gay boys in extreme numbers!.

About the girl in the photo, no no, she’s not a dyke. She’s a man, or used to be a boy, or, whatever!

Cheerful Joe

No comments: