Fabulous, unique guesthouse w/ lots of social life, more photos at http://www.flickr.com/photos/bangkoksong/

2008/09/23

Music Makes the People....

Music makes the people come together. It certainly did last night. I happened to be playing tour guide with 4 of our delightful guests in our 2 bedroom apartment next door. I had suggested to the four gals from the USA that, if they were going to Patpong that evening, then they should definitely pop into DJ Station a bit before 11:30 to catch the cabaret show. Fast forward 30 minutes later and the 5 of us were crammed into a taxi hell bent for Silom. That’s right, my feeble protest of having to work the next day was to no avail.

As usual the show was fabulous, in my humble opinion, and I could tell from the reaction of my guests that they also were impressed w/ the sheer energy, talent and enthusiasm of the performers. It wasn’t long before the air was filled with the deep, sexy dance beat of today’s best tunes, turning the club into a place ‘not just where you bump and grind.’ To be sure, almost everyone was dancing but as I surveyed the crowd (as I did my own little ‘bump and grind’) I was struck by something else. A bit of an epiphany I suppose. You couldn’t have concocted a more diverse group of revelers if your life had depended upon it. To be sure, most of the crowd were gay, ranging in age from barely legal to bordering feeble, but also included a lively mix of straight guys and girls, and befitting the show we had just watched, was punctuated here and there with the most exotic looking creatures. I’m referring here of course to the ladyboys, drag queens, transgender and all the other terms that are used when referring to those who fall outside of straight or gay. And the revelation wasn’t that this patchwork quilt of people had all come out to dance on a Monday night, but that, despite all their differences, there was an invisible ‘glue’ holding them together in this happy, heady mix called DJ Station. That ‘glue’, I realized was Music. I realized then that Music is a powerful weapon that could cut through long held stereotypes, misconceptions, prejudice and even hatred. If we let it.

Imagine regime change through Music. CD’s falling quietly through the sky, finding their way into MP3 players, lifting and enlightening entire repressed societies, who then see neighbors in a totally new light. If I were running for the highest office of the world’s superpower, you can bet that Music would be part of my platform. OK, right up there with the economy. And my running mate? Think M. Think ‘bump and grind’.

Bangkoksong. Even our name has music in it. Each of our apartments comes with its own music system, MP3 player compatible or borrow from our library of way cool tunes. Let’s dance.

Guest post by Randall

2 comments:

seopak said...

i visited NASA night club in bangkok in 1991. It was one of the best club i have visited since then anywhere including USA and England. I dont know whether it is still there or closed down.

Debra
Dallas

seopak said...

one more thing. How is the situation of traffic in Bangkok now. it used to be one of the worst cities in terms of traffic jams.

Debra
Houston