Fabulous, unique guesthouse w/ lots of social life, more photos at http://www.flickr.com/photos/bangkoksong/

2008/10/14

Happy Ending

My good friend Ed from New York City is treating me to a session at a spa here in Bangkok tomorrow. Facial, manicure and massage. But not just a massage, rather a massage with a ‘happy ending’ if I so desire. And I must confess that in all my years of traveling to and living in Thailand I have never availed myself of a massage with a happy ending. I think I’ll pass tomorrow also, not that I am prudish or anything.

But there is a happy ending that I would like to get. If you have read some of my previous guest posts you’ll know that I have been coming to Thailand for 15 years. For the most part it was magical and captivating. It was just over 4 years ago that I decided to move and live here full time. I was drawn to the more peaceful, open, tolerant society. Sure, I knew there would be problems, that it wouldn’t be perfect. But in my mind I felt that I had brokered a deal for a new life with a ‘happy ending’. I’ve had to question all this over the past couple of weeks as Thai society has literally come undone with violent street demonstrations.

It’s my opinion that Thailand is still one of the safest countries in the world to live and you’d have to look far and wide to find a city on the scale of Bangkok that offers more personal safety. If you avoid the protest area around the Government House you’ll be in no danger whatsoever, almost anywhere in Bangkok. But the realization that Thailand is changing, and not for the better, has deeply saddened me. Opposing sides in the conflict have drawn a line in the sand. Compromise seems not to be in the picture. Lives have been lost, hundreds have been injured. Is it too late for Thais to return to their Buddhist teachings and look for the ‘middle path’? Certainly, if both sides were willing to do this the violence would stop and meaningful dialogue would follow that would hopefully lead to a solution. Thai or farang, we all must be very disappointed that we are not getting the happy ending that we so desired. I for one hope that both sides will come to their senses soon and that no more lives will be lost.

At BangkokSong we won’t promise you a happy ending. But we will promise you a visit that is an accurate reflection of Thailand today. Isn’t that what travel is all about?

Randall

No comments: